Read to your baby.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008


Do you read to your child? I have a fifteen month old granddaughter that I babysit every day. She has been pretty sick this week and crying a lot, something so unlike her. This baby is one of the happiest kids around and so much fun to watch normally.

I have a number of kids books here as she loves me to read to her. One book that was my all time favorite when my kids were little was "Are You My Mother".
I had hunted for this book at yard sales and in the stores and could not find it. About a month ago I found it on paperbackswap.com

Monday, my poor little granddaughter was so sick and all she wanted to do was go in the car, so we went to the post office. The book had come! I was hoping that this would make her happy.

It is now Wednesday and I could not tell you how many times I have read the book over and over. She loves it too! In fact, I took her out on the porch and she pointed to a spot where a bird was building a nest in a can. I told her it was a bird's nest, not even thinking about the book. Scout, put her finger to her mouth ans said "shhh baby birdie". She had made the connection with the book!

Read to your baby! even when you think they are too young, they are learning. It works for me and my granddaughter!

3 comments:

Heart of Wisdom said...

You are so right. Read, read, read.
Good Job Mom!

Robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

The Amazing Trips said...

I wrote a post last year for WFMW regarding reading that might be right up your alley. It provides links to some of the incredible books that I read to our toddler triplets (& 8-month old) that your granddaughter might also really enjoy.

Here's the link:
http://amazingtrips.blogspot.com/2006/08/story-time.html

randi said...

Reading to kids is one of the best activities you can do with them, at least I think so! We go to the library once a week and check out piles--literally--and the kids love it. So do I!

Email Me